Wordpress and AJAX

Wordpress and AJAX: An in-depth guide on using Ajax with WordPress

Download

Introduction

How About a Little Ajax?
I’m rather biased when it comes to Ajax. One of my first WordPress plugins is Ajax-based. As soon as I started using Ajax, I fell in love with the possibilities.

You see, Ajax is what helps achieve that “rich” Internet experience. Ajax helps eliminate unnecessary page loads, can streamline a user interface, and can make a task that is cumbersome run gracefully behind the scenes.

As with every piece of technology, Ajax can be used for good or for bad. There are those that will use and abuse Ajax (and they should be spanked unmercilessly).

The Book’s Beginning 
When I was learning Ajax with WordPress, finding good documentation was hard to find. My education was basically ripping code from other plugins, mashing them together, and hoping everything worked.

I’ve grown a lot in my journey. While I am still far from perfect, I felt it necessary to share what I have learned over the years.

This book began humbly. I thought to myself, “Why not write a quick group of articles on using Ajax with WordPress?”

I began working on an outline, and it became quite obvious this wasn’t going to be a short series of articles. In order to adequately cover the topic, there needed to be much, much more.

The Goal of the Book
The goal of this book is to provide you a rocksolid foundation for using Ajax with WordPress. After the foundation has been laid, you will be walked through several real-world examples. By the end of the book, you should not only have a thorough understanding of Ajax, but how Ajax functions within WordPress itself.

The code examples I present are from my own (sometimes painful) experiences with using Ajax. I’ve cried. I’ve bled. And I hope to share my agony (err, joy).
Share This